Tuesday 19 August 2014

"Fair Trade" - Sold!
Experimenting - Feelings Overload!

I have been experimenting with creating woodcuts and mono-prints and last Friday my second show exhibiting prints opened in Tatamagouche. 
As a painter and as a print-maker, I need to be inspired by looking at other peoples art, taking an image and making it my own. I have been working hard for this show and was satisfied with the result.  
You may think when creating a wood plate I can print numerous prints from the same plate, frame them and off they go. However, it is not that easy it becomes quite a process to select the 'perfect' print, even though, I may print 4 or 5 one may only be good enough to frame for the show. 
At the show, I wanted to say to people looking at my work, that these "prints" are really one of a kind, forget the term 'print'. Even though, the term "print" means the image can be reproduced but when working with a handmade print from a woodcut plate no print is the same. An ink-blotch there and sometimes adding ink with the brush later makes each print one of a kind.  My experimenting with coffee stained  backgrounds makes them even more unique.
Coming back to the show of last Friday evening. We, the Pugwash Artist Collective, have a great support/fan fair, they came out and applauded our efforts. My gratitude goes out to the people who came despite the heavy rain and fog - Thank You!

Opening at the Fraser Cultural Centre in Tatamagouche, August 15th 2014




Openings are always difficult for me, I never know what to do.Yes, you may think, talk to the people who come but it is hard, I felt vulnerable and spacy on Friday evening, the worst feelings to have at an opening. What to say, when people ask about my art when feeling disconnected to the human race and my feelings. Feelings overload!
So, the evening went on wonderful people commented on my art positively but I seem to never arrive at the Gallery while flying through space (Maybe, I shouldn't have watched all these episodes of Star Trek Voyager recently) .  

"Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind"
"Telling" - Sold!
"Now" - Mono-print
"Then"
  

Archan Knotz creates : February

Archan Knotz creates : February :  Every year it happens, February arrives and I have this strong urge ...