Wednesday 20 February 2019

Journals

Handcrafted leather bound journals 6.5 x 4.5" #repurposed

Journals have been instrumental in creating opportunities in my life.

So I am happy to now actually create the 'hardware' myself. I have not been known to be crafty and actually fainted into my adored teachers arms, when working in sewing class.

Journals have followed me as my sketch books or to visualize my life. Sometimes with long pauses in between.

When I was younger and living in Munich struggling, while escaping reality into writing a life I wanted to live into my journal. I started to understand how important journals are. While writing, my brain started to be more free of all the things charging through the synopses.
Yesterday, I had titled by blog post, Unlimited Possibilities, well, eventually I basically talked myself into being courageous by exposing my inner critic in my journal. Which prompted big changes in my life.

Moving to Frankfurt.
Signing up for art classes.
Had my first show.
Sold some artwork, which eventually connected me to Nova Scotia, which I now call my home.

I remember sitting in the airplane in February of 1993 (only someone who does not know how cold winters are in Nova Scotia would be thinking of visiting NS in February), telling the story how I came to be flying to Nova Scotia to a person next to me, he said, "write a book about it".
In a way I did, before it happened.

Journaling is a courageous undertaking because what you put in there and dream about can come true.




3 comments:

Pandemonium Ministry of Culture said...

I agree that journals and sketch books are vital to a creative life, and to a life pursuit of growth. Your images of the books show how beauty is an integral part of journaling!

Cynthia McCarthy said...

Your invitation to journal - as beautifully crafted as the journals themselves.

Archan creates said...

Thank you Bob and Cynthia, I knew that Bob, from the Pandemonium Ministry of Culture, you are a connoisseur of journals. Cynthia, you must be too? Journals are a wonderful thing to contemplate life in, or to dive deeper with your work and discover depth one would have not reached without journaling. Using a handmade one that already inspires thought by just looking at the outside is wonderful. Thanks for the comments! Stay warm!

Archan Knotz creates : February

Archan Knotz creates : February :  Every year it happens, February arrives and I have this strong urge ...